Arizona Youth Leadership Forum (AZYLF) is an innovative, 5-day regional conference, designed to foster personal growth for students and young adults who have disabilities, as they prepare for and progress through transition to adulthood.
Typically occurring in person on a college or university campus, due to current public health concerns, in 2020 AZYLF will be known as Arizona Virtual Youth Leadership Forum (AVYLF) and will provide the same content and opportunities as AZYLF does, using a host of online tools to achieve the same amazing outcomes. The foundational philosophies and principles remain unchanged, and center around the belief that leadership is a personal journey, which begins with maximizing leadership roles and responsibilities in your own life. AVYLF provides experiential learning opportunities to assist each individual as they identify and embrace their strengths and gifts, in conjunction with planning for their future.
Students and young adults who have disabilities who are making the transition to adulthood are invited to apply, and recruit others to apply for this life changing opportunity!
AVYLF is intended to serve youth who have a variety of disabilities and diversities. Therefore, Arizona youth who are in high school, those who have recently graduated, or those who are young adults in transition, are encouraged to apply and will receive selection consideration.
AVYLF is facilitated by Diverse Ability Incorporated, in partnership with the AZYLI Alumni Association, and is funded in part by Arizona Rehabilitation Services Administration, and Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council.
Accommodations to ensure your success are provided, and there is no cost to you for participation.
Delegate Selection Process
To be eligible for selection as a Delegate to Arizona Virtual Youth Leadership Forum, youth must:
- Have a disability that they acknowledge, and that others regard them having;
- Be in high school, or be a young adult under the age of 30, who is working through the process of transition to adulthood;
- Desire to increase personal leadership, self-reliance, and self-advocacy skills;
- Strive to interact effectively with peers and elder role models;
- Reside in Arizona
Applicants must electronically submit the completed application by 11:59pm on May 31, 2020. Applicants who do not have internet access may call: 602-425-5135, for assistance with completing their application prior to 5:00pm on May 25, 2020.
- Diverse Ability Incorporated will be responding to applicants to arrange for video interviews, as applications are received. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection as Delegates, as soon as possible following the interview.
- After being selected, Delegates will be required to complete a comprehensive online confirmation form, which includes health and safety information, and may include a Pre-Employment Transition Services Verification Form.
- There is no charge for Delegates to participate in AVYLF.
- Accommodations such as: ASL interpreters, captioning, and in person assistance services, are provided at no cost.
- Delegates may be required to complete specific documents for AVYLF funding sources, prior to participation.
PLEASE NOTE: AZYLF Graduates are NOT eligible to return as Delegates, and are encouraged to engage with the AZYLI Alumni Association. To do so, visit: www.azylf.org/azylf-alumni-association/
Rules of Conduct for AVYLF 2020:
Youth, referred to as Delegates, are selected to attend Arizona Virtual Youth Leadership Forum (AVYLF) based upon their leadership potential and skills. Delegates are expected to conduct themselves accordingly, and must:
- Be punctual and follow the conference schedule. Participation in all sessions is mandatory.
- Maintain a respectful attitude toward peers, presenters, and AVYLF staff.
- Headsets, radios, electronic devices, and cellular phones that are not being used for participation in AVYLF are not permitted during scheduled AVYLF activities. Use of such items will only be permitted during designated breaks, unless they have been identified as an accommodation.
- Parents/Guardians/Other Supporters, will be asked to allow the Delegate time and space, free from interruption, throughout the AVYLF conference, to maximize their opportunity to learn and grow, challenge themselves, and engage to the fullest.
Any violations of these rules will result in Delegates being unable to continue participating. Your application to Arizona Virtual Youth Leadership Forum confirms your acceptance of these rules.
Remember the responsibility that goes with the honor of being selected to AVYLF…and plan to have a great time!
Online Application Link:
Although online applications are preferred, we recognize this submission method may not work for everyone. In addition, we strive to provide information in the language and format that best meets your needs. Please email or call Mellie Santora with any questions you may have, and/or if you are in need of options in regard to application submission.
Mellie Santora: 602-425-5135, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters of Recommendation
If you are submitting a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant please use this link: