AZYLF is an innovative, 5-day conference, designed to foster personal growth for students and young adults who have disabilities, as they prepare for and progress through transition to adulthood. AZYLF believes leadership is a personal journey, and begins with maximizing leadership roles and responsibilities in your own life. AZYLF provides experiential learning opportunities to assist each individual as they identify and embrace their strengths and gifts, in conjunction with planning for their future.
Up to 25 youth from across Arizona will be selected to participate in each location, through a competitive application process. The AZYLF conference successfully integrates youth who represent the diversity of disability and culture in Arizona.
In 2019, AZYLF will be held in 5 regions of Arizona!
At the bottom of this page are the application links for each location. Please note that applicants must apply for the AZYLF region that corresponds with their County of Residence.
Students and young adults who have disabilities who are making the transition to adulthood are invited to apply, and recruit others to apply for this life changing opportunity!
AZYLF is intended to serve youth who have a variety of disabilities and diversities. Therefore, Arizona youth who will have completed at least one year of high school by June, those who have recently graduated, or those who are young adults in transition, are encouraged to apply and will receive selection consideration.
AZYLF is facilitated by Diverse Ability Incorporated, in partnership with the AZYLI Alumni Association, Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council, and other invested partner organizations.
There is no cost to you for participation.
To be eligible for selection as a Delegate to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum, youth must:
- Have a disability that you acknowledge and that others regard you having;
- Have completed at least one year of high school by June, be a recent graduate, or a young adult working through transition to adulthood;
- Have demonstrated potential for personal leadership or self-advocacy;
- Reside in Arizona
Applicants must electronically submit their complete application by 11:59pm on April 30, 2019. Applicants who do not have internet access may call: 602-425-5135, for assistance with completing their application by 5:00pm on April 30, 2019.
We will be responding to applicants to arrange for telephone/video interviews, as applications are received. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection as Delegates, as soon as possible following the application closing date, and interview completion.
After being selected, Delegates will be required to complete a confirmation form, provide additional information, and perform 5 hours of service to others in their community, before attending AZYLF.
There is no charge for Delegates to participate in AZYLF. Transportation to and from the conference is the responsibility of the Delegate, and AZYLF will provide a travel stipend after the conference to the driver of those Delegates traveling more than 100 miles round trip. All costs associated with AZYLF once on campus and accommodations such as: ASL interpreters, materials in alternative formats, and personal care assistance services, are provided at no cost. Delegates may be required to complete documents for specific funding sources, prior to participation.
***PLEASE NOTE: AZYLF Graduates are NOT eligible to return as Delegates, and are encouraged to engage with the AZYLI Alumni Association. Visit: www.azylf.org/azylf-alumni-association/***
Rules of Conduct for AZYLF
Youth, referred to as Delegates, are selected to attend Arizona Youth Leadership Forum (AZYLF) based upon their leadership potential and skills. Delegates are expected to conduct themselves accordingly, and must:
- Be punctual and follow the scheduled program. Attendance at all sessions is mandatory. You must remain with your assigned group at all times. Wake up and lights out are scheduled for all participants.
- Maintain a respectful attitude toward peers, presenters, and AZYLF staff.
- Respect the facilities (maintaining the condition of dormitory rooms and all other areas). Participants will be charged for property damage they cause, and for lost room keys or linens.
- When not in assigned groups, Delegates are to be in their own assigned rooms. All other campus residence halls and facilities are off limits. Visitation in common areas is allowed, when scheduled and supervised.
- Possession or use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances is strictly prohibited. (Prescription or approved medications require documentation. Medication reminders and requested accommodations will be provided.)
- Headsets, radios, electronic devices, and cellular phones are NOT permitted during scheduled AZYLF activities. Use of such items will only be permitted during designated breaks, unless they have been identified as an accommodation. An emergency telephone number will be provided to Parents/Guardians/identified Supporters.
Any violations of these rules will result in Delegates being sent home immediately at the expense of themselves or their parent/guardian. Your application to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum confirms your acceptance of these rules.
Remember the responsibility that goes with the honor of being selected to AZYLF…and plan to have a great time!
This year, there will be 5 Regional Arizona Youth Leadership Forum conferences!
- June 5-9, 2019 at Dine College in Tsaile (for those resideing in Apache, *Coconino, and Navajo Counties) Application Link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-application-tsaile/
- June 12-16, 2019 at Arizona Western College in Yuma (for those residing in LaPaz and Yuma Counties) Application Link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-application-yuma/
- June 19-23, 2019 at Prescott College in Prescott (for those residing in *Coconino, Mohave, and Yavapai Counties) Application Link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-application-prescott/
- June 26-30, 2019 at Arizona State University in Phoenix (for those residing in Gila, Maricopa, and Pinal Counties) Application Link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-application-phoenix/
- July 8-12, 2019 at University of Arizona in Tucson (for those resideing in Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, Pima, and Santa Cruz Counties) Application Link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-application-tucson/
*Coconino County residents may apply for either the Tsaile or Prescott AZYLF conferences.
Please contact Mellie Santora at 602-425-5135, or email@example.com, if you have questions about AZYLF or the application process.
Letters of Recommendation
If you are submitting a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant please use this link: https://azsilc.wufoo.com/forms/azylf-delegate-recommendation-2019/