AZYLF is an innovative, 6-day conference, designed to foster personal growth for students and young adults who have disabilities, as they prepare for and progress through transition to adulthood. AZYLF believes leadership is a personal journey, and begins with maximizing leadership roles and responsibilities in your own life. AZYLF provides experiential learning opportunities to assist each individual as they identify and embrace their strengths and gifts, in conjunction with planning for their future.
In 2018 Arizona Youth Leadership Forum (AZYLF) will be held at Northern Arizona University (NAU) in Flagstaff, June 15-20, 2018, and for the 5th year in a row at Arizona State University Phoenix Campus, July 16-21, 2018.
Up to 25 youth from across Arizona will be selected to participate in each location, through a competitive application process. The AZYLF conference successfully integrates youth who represent the diversity of disability and culture in Arizona.
Students and transitioning young adults who have disabilities, are invited to apply, and recruit others to apply for this life changing opportunity!
The application is available online, or by download at the bottom of this page. Completed application packets must be received by 11:59pm on Sunday, May 20, 2018. You are encouraged to start the application process early to ensure arrival of all materials by the due date.
AZYLF is intended to serve youth who have a variety of disabilities and diversities. Therefore, Arizona youth who will have completed at least one year of high school by June, those who have recently graduated, or those who are young adults in transition, are encouraged to apply and will receive selection consideration.
AZYLF is a collaborative effort between Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council, Diverse Ability Incorporated, AZYLF Alumni Association, and other invested partner organizations.
There is no cost for you to participate.
Delegate Selection Process
- To be eligible for selection as a Delegate to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum, youth must:
- Have a disability that you acknowledge and that others regard you having;
- Have completed at least one year of high school by June, be a recent graduate, or a young adult working through transition to adulthood;
- Have demonstrated leadership potential in school and/or the community;
- Reside in Arizona
- Delegate applicants must mail, fax, scan and email, or electronically submit the completed application packet by 11:59pm on Sunday, May 20, 2018.
- Because the application deadline has been extended, we will be responding to applicants to arrange for telephone interviews, as applications are received. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection as Delegates, as soon as possible following their interview.
- After being selected, Delegates will be required to complete a confirmation form, provide additional information, and perform 5 hours of service to others in their community, before attending AZYLF.
- All lodging and related expenses will be covered Arizona Youth Leadership Forum, including all on and off campus activities, accommodations such as: ASL interpreters, materials in alternative formats, and personal care assistance services. A travel stipend (for distances totaling more than 100 miles round trip), is available.
***PLEASE NOTE: AZYLF Graduates are NOT eligible to return as Delegates, and are encouraged to engage with the AZYLF Alumni Association. For More Information, visit the AZYLF Alumni Association page .***
Rules of Conduct for AZYLF
Youth, referred to as Delegates, are selected to attend Arizona Youth Leadership Forum (AZYLF) based upon their leadership potential and skills. Delegates are expected to conduct themselves accordingly, and must:
- Be punctual and follow the scheduled program. Attendance at all sessions is mandatory. You must remain with your assigned group at all times. Wake up and lights out are scheduled for all participants.
- Maintain a respectful attitude toward peers, presenters, and AZYLF staff.
- Respect the facilities (maintaining the condition of dormitory rooms and all other areas). Participants will be charged for property damage they cause, and for lost room keys or linens.
- When not in assigned groups, Delegates are to be in their own assigned rooms. All other campus residence halls and facilities are off limits. Visitation in common areas is allowed, when scheduled and supervised.
- Possession or use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances is strictly prohibited. (Prescription or approved medications require documentation. Medication reminders and requested accommodations will be provided.)
- Headsets, radios, electronic devices, and cellular phones are NOT permitted during scheduled AZYLF activities. Use of such items will only be permitted during designated breaks, unless they have been identified as an accommodation. An emergency telephone number will be provided to Parents/Guardians/identified Supporters.
Any violations of these rules will result in Delegates being sent home immediately at the expense of themselves or their parent/guardian. Your application to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum confirms your acceptance of these rules.
Remember the responsibility that goes with the honor of being selected to AZYLF…and plan to have a great time!
All application materials must be received no later than 11:59pm on May 20, 2018. The easiest and preferred way to apply to attend AZYLF is to complete the online application by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. Alternatively, you can choose to download the application form and mail, fax or scan and email it. AZYLF will provide this application and associated materials in alternative formats upon request. If you choose to download the application instead of completing the online form, you must submit it to:
Melissa Ann Santora
PO Box 46354
Phoenix AZ 85063
Online Application Links
- Click here to complete the on-line application for AZYLF 2018. (Preferred application method).
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2018 (Text format – Opens in Word, Works, Pages and other word processing software).
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2018 (pdf – requires Adobe).
- You will need to submit the application via mail, fax or scan and email if you choose to download.
Letters of Recommendation
If you are submitting a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant please click here.