AZYLF is an innovative, 6-day conference, designed to foster personal growth for students and young adults who have disabilities, as they prepare for and progress through transition to adulthood. AZYLF believes leadership is a personal journey, and begins with maximizing leadership roles and responsibilities in your own life. AZYLF provides experiential learning opportunities to assist each individual as they identify and embrace their strengths and gifts, in conjunction with planning for their future. AZYLF will be held at Arizona State University Campus in Phoenix Arizona, June 18-23, 2017.
Students and transitioning young adults who have disabilities, are invited to apply, and recruit others to apply for this life changing opportunity!
The application is available online, or by download at the bottom of this page. Completed application packets must be received by Friday, April 21, 2017. You are encouraged to start the application process early to ensure arrival of all materials by the due date. Only 25 youth who have disabilities will be selected to participate!
AZYLF is intended to serve youth who have a variety of disabilities and diversities. Therefore, Arizona youth who will have completed at least one year of high school by June, those who have recently graduated, or those who are young adults in transition, are encouraged to apply and will receive selection consideration.
AZYLF is a collaborative effort between Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council, AZYLF Alumni Association, Diverse Ability Incorporated, and other invested partner organizations.
There is no cost for you to participate.
Delegate Selection Process
- To be eligible for selection as a Delegate to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum, youth must:
- Have a disability that you acknowledge and that others regard you having;
- Have completed at least one year of high school by June, be a recent graduate, or a young adult in transition;
- Have demonstrated leadership potential in school and/or the community;
- Reside in Arizona
- Delegate applicants must mail, fax, scan, or electronically submit the completed application packet to Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council/AZYLF by Friday, April 21, 2017. On-line application: www.azylf.org
- Selected Delegate applicants will be contacted to arrange for a telephone interview. The interview will be conducted by panel, and will occur prior to May 5, 2017.
- All applicants will be notified of the status of their selection by May 12, 2017. Only 25 youth will be selected to attend.
- After being selected, Delegates will be required to complete a confirmation form, provide additional information, and perform 5 hours of service to others in their community, before attending AZYLF.
- All appropriate expenses will be paid by Arizona Youth Leadership Forum, including such expenses as travel (for distances totaling more than 100 miles round trip), lodging, meals, ASL interpreters, materials in alternative formats, and personal care assistance services.
***PLEASE NOTE: AZYLF Graduates are NOT eligible to return as Delegates, and are encouraged to engage with the AZYLF Alumni Association. For More Information, visit the AZYLF Alumni Association page .***
Rules of Conduct for AZYLF
Youth, referred to as Delegates, are selected to attend Arizona Youth Leadership Forum (AZYLF) based upon their leadership potential and skills. Delegates are expected to conduct themselves accordingly, and must:
- Be punctual and follow the scheduled program. Attendance at all sessions is mandatory. You must remain with your assigned group at all times. Wake up and lights out are scheduled for all participants.
- Maintain a respectful attitude toward peers, presenters, and AZYLF staff.
- Respect the facilities (maintaining the condition of dormitory rooms and all other areas). Participants will be charged for property damage they cause, and for lost room keys or linens.
- When not in assigned groups, Delegates are to be in their own assigned rooms. All other campus residence halls and facilities are off limits. Visitation in common areas is allowed, when scheduled and supervised.
- Possession or use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances is strictly prohibited. (Prescription or approved medications require documentation. Medication reminders and requested accommodations will be provided.)
- Headsets, radios, electronic devices, and cellular phones are NOT permitted during scheduled AZYLF activities. Use of such items will only be permitted during designated breaks, unless they have been identified as an accommodation. An emergency telephone number will be provided to Parents/Guardians/identified Supporters.
Any violations of these rules will result in Delegates being sent home immediately at the expense of themselves or their parent/guardian. Your application to Arizona Youth Leadership Forum confirms your acceptance of these rules.
Remember the responsibility that goes with the honor of being selected to AZYLF…and plan to have a great time!
All application materials must be received no later than April 21, 2017. The easiest and preferred way to apply to attend AZYLF is to complete the online application by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. Alternatively, you can choose to download the application form and mail, fax or scan/email it. The AZSILC will provide this application and associated materials in alternative formats upon request. If you choose to download the application instead of completing the online form, you must submit it to:
Melissa Ann Santora
Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council/AZYLF
PO Box 46354
Phoenix AZ 85063
Phone: (602)262-2900, ext 3
Online Application Links
- Click here to complete the on-line application for AZYLF 2017. (Preferred application method).
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2017 (Text format – Opens in Word, Works, Pages and other word processing software).
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2017 (pdf – requires Adobe).
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2017 in Spanish (Text Format)
- Download AZYLF Delegate Application 2017 in Spanish (pdf – requires Adobe)
- You will need to submit the application via mail, fax or scan/email if you choose to download.
Letters of Recommendation
If you are submitting a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant please click here.